If you’ve been lingering around Pinterest like I have been lately, you’ve most likely seen this one come through: The Avocado Chickpea Sandwich.
I love avocados and I love chickpeas but never in my wildest dreams would I have thought to combine the two loves together. What amazing harmony the two create!
While looking for something light to eat tonight, I went to my Pinterest cooking board, pulled up this particular recipe, and knew I had to try it. Inspired by the original recipe, I had to add a special twist of my own (not having cilantro or green onions in the house) and added a little bit of pesto and a garlic aioli to replace the missing flavor of the herb and onion. It was tasty and did the trick!
1 can drained garbanzo beans
1 large ripe avocado
Juice from 1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon pesto spread
1 teaspoon wildwood garlic aioli (a vegan spread we use on everything)
3-5 spinach leaves
Bread of choice (I use Dave’s Killer Bread)
*The wonderful thing about this recipe is you can add tomatoes, sprouts or other yummy sandwich toppings of your choice.
1. Rinse and drain the chickpeas.
2. In a bowl, mash the chickpeas with the avocado together. I did not mash every single chickpea but make sure the mixture is creamy.
3. Add in lime, salt and pepper.
4. Toast Bread
5. Spread pesto on one slice of bread and the garlic aioli on the other slice.
6. Add a layer of spinach leaves on one slice of bread.
7. Spread the creamy chickpea/avocado mixture on the other slice of bread.
It’s that easy… and so tasty, if I do say so myself! I love Pinterest, oh yes I do!
-Tanya Eats Tasty Sandwiches.